Mashed fava beans!
This popular mezze dish contains so few ingredients that it is hard to believe just how flavorful it can be! Split peas infused with onion and garnished with fresh parsley and olive oil make for a great accompaniment to seafood but also as a mouthwatering dip.
- 500 grams of yellow split peas- rinsed
- 2 red onions- cut into quarters
- Fresh parsley for garnishing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place 500 grams of yellow split peas in a large cooking pot, fill with water and boil for 5 minutes.
- Empty the split peas into a colander, removing all of the water.
- Rinse the cooking pot and the peas, then place back into the pot with fresh water on medium heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the onion and let the mixture boil until the split peas are tender.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper, then blend the contents of the bowl into a smooth paste.
Garnish with finely chopped red onion/spring onion, olives/capers and fresh parsley, then drizzle generously with olive oil.
Serve with bread or any dunking material you wish!