Meatball soup with egg and lemon sauce!
‘‘This is one of my favourite soups that my mother would cook every winter. It is a wonderful comfort food but still healthy! Eating this soup always reminds me of cozy nights in front of the fireplace.”
For the meatballs:
- 300 grams of ground beef
- 4 tablespoons of rice (Karolina)
- 1 large egg
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 50 grams of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the egg & lemon sauce:
- 2 eggs
- The juice of 1.5 lemons
- Flour (for dusting)
For the meatballs:
- Add all of the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl, mix well.
- Separate the mixture into smaller portions and roll into ping-pong sized balls.
- Roll the balls in a dusting of flour.
- In a large cooking pot, boil water and slowly drop the balls in, one by one.
- After five minutes, add the rice.
- Boil the meatballs for 15 minutes until cooked, then remove them from the water and set them aside on a plate. (Do not throw out the boiling water!)
- Reduce the heat on the boiling water to the minimum temperature available.
For the egg and lemon sauce:
- Separate the yolk from the whites (set aside the yolk for later) and whisk the egg whites until fluffy (the consistency used for meringue).
- Continue whisking whilst adding the egg yolks to the whites, continue whisking until well mixed.
- Continue whisking the egg mixture whilst adding the lemon juice.
- Take 4 ladles or cups of the meatball broth and slowly add it to the egg mixture whilst continuing to whisk.
- Remove the pot used to cook the meatballs from the stove.
- Whilst mixing slowly, add the egg and lemon mixture to the remaining meatball broth.
- Place the pot back onto the stove, on low heat, and continue stirring for approximately 5 minutes until it has the texture of smooth cream.
- Turn off the heat completely and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the creamy liquid.
Tip: Serve it in a bowl with ground pepper and dill. I would be perfect to combine with steamed veggies!