Greek-style steamed veggie salad!
This is one of my favorite foods! The simplest, healthiest, and most delicious Greek salad after ”Choriatiki”! Throughout the whole of Greece, but in particular, throughout Crete, the local cuisine is renowned for its healthy, simple dishes such as the mix of cooked vegetables served with lots of olive oil and lemon juice. Accompanying this simple dish is usually a serving of deliciously fresh fish such as sardines.
Greens (Endive, Escarole, Notchweeds, Beet-leaves)
- Wash the vegetables and cut into your desired form (we suggest big chunky cubes/slices).
- Boil water in a large pot and add salt.
- Boil the vegetables until cooked (greens- 10 minutes/ zucchini- 20mins/ beets, potatoes and carrots- 30 minutes). Note: directly after cooking, rinse the veg with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Ensure the water is completely drained from the vegetables (squeeze the greens with your hands to drain water well) and place on a plate.
- Splash with lots of lemon juice or vinegar and a generous amount of olive oil.